Skip to main content

Nicolá Cruz - Rio Branco

Nicola Cruz was born in Limoges, France. His parents are from Ecuador. He uses electronic music as a means of exploring and reconnecting with his family's culture.

I've heard hundreds of attempts to marry electronic music with South American styles. None of it ever quite resonated with me. However, Cruz takes it to a different place. This is not your run of the mill Andean flute and techno beats. None of it sounds tacky or lacking respect for the source material. He samples and mutates the sounds of the Andes and Amazon without losing their soul. It's all there, intact, but presented abstractly. There's a depth here that is worth listening for intently.

Comments

Trending Tracks

Asia - Heat of the Moment (Live)

By the end of 1981, prog rock was in deep trouble. Punk rock's offspring had traded in guitars for synthesizers and learned to write catchy pop songs. Prog pioneers who had redefined rock and roll's sound throughout the 70s, with their bold use of Moog and ARP synthesizers (Rick Wakeman, Keith Emerson, etc.), now stood on the sidelines scratching their heads as Adam Ant lookalikes scored hits with their own brand of synthesized music. The new wave had arrived and proggers were beached. The only prog group that had managed to successfully make the jump to the 80s was Genesis. With Phil Collins out from behind the drums and singing love songs, the group scored hits with "Follow You, Follow Me," "Turn It On Again," and "Misunderstanding." Genesis wasn't new wave, but they had successfuly shed the odd time signatures and existential lyrics of the 70s and attracted a mainstream pop audience. But Genesis was just the beginning. Following the...

Jonathan Richman - I Was Dancing In A Lesbian Bar

Jonathan Richman 's I Was Dancing In A Lesbian Bar  reminds me of last night. Yesterday was my birthday. In typical fashion, after my responsibilities as husband and father were lovingly fulfilled and the sun had set on the quiet suburbs of Portland, I drove straight into the city for some karaoke. Throughout the evening I sang three songs and danced harder than I have in years. In Richman's song, the protagonist finds himself feeling like an outsider at a night club. The clientele is too cool to dance and less than welcoming. Soon he is invited to go dancing in a new spot by some kind strangers. They lead him to a lesbian bar that is the polar opposite of the first club. Everybody's dancing and having a good time. Richman has found a place of belonging in the most unlikely setting. That's how I felt at the karaoke club last night. I've been in literally hundreds of karaoke bars in a handful of countries. As a first-timer, singers can be met with indifference,...