Skip to main content

Genesis - Watcher of the Skies

Throughout the last week, UFOs have graced the headlines of both the New York Times and NPR's website. It turns out that the Pentagon's Advanced Aviation Threat Identification Program has been collecting accounts of the military's contact with unidentified phenomena between 2007 and 2012. They've even got official videos that are, at this point, inexplicable. Check out this one recorded by two F-18 pilots.



Tonight's addition to the mixtape is most definitely the early-Genesis classic, Watcher of the Skies. It was a tough pick. I toyed with the idea of selecting Yes' Arriving UFO or The Byrds Mr. Spaceman. However, neither Jon Anderson nor Roger McGuinn had the imagination nor impudence to dress up like extraterrestrial royalty as they sang their odes to flying saucers. Peter Gabriel clinches the selection with his peculiar number, sung to a 6/4 time signature, in full make up and garish robe. Watcher of the Skies imagines a barren Earth surveyed by alien visitors. It has always been one of my top 10 progressive rock songs for its integration of visual and sonic concepts.



Now, for my story about a watcher of the sky.

I've seen a UFO. Not just something unidentified. I was witness to something completely extraordinary in the night skies of Puerto Angel, a quaint beach town in Oaxaca, Mexico in the fall of 2005. All of this news of UFOs has stirred up the memory for me. I've never shared this publicly -- only with a few close friends. I'll make it short. I was lying on the beach with a group of backpackers from my hostel, star gazing, after a night of fiesta along the beach front cantinas. I only share this detail to provide a context for why I would be sprawled on my back in the sand alongside a group of backpackers. In no manner was I inebriated. My senses were sharp. As I focused on the darkness above the din of crashing waves, something came into sight. At first, I thought it was a plane. However, it was completely silent and moved in a manner in which I've never been able to rationalize. It was glowing, without visible, external lights. I would describe it as phosphorescent. The craft, with wings and what appeared to be a tail had a biological texture. I did not recognize it as a machine, rather something living. It approached like a glider and then... it paused, inching over the beach about 100 feet in the sky -- as if hovering. Finally, it sped inland beyond our sight at an inexplicable speed and without sound. That was the shocking part of the whole experience. It was close. It was massive. It was silent. I have replayed the incident in my mind hundreds of times. None of it ever adds up to something I can explain. And, so I won't really try to explain it. I'll just tell the story and wait for the big reveal.

The author in Acapulco shortly after his experience with a UFO.

Comments

Trending Tracks

Joy Division - Ice Age

It's January 2nd. The temperature in Maine hovers between 10º and -10º F. We will be hit by a bombogenesis (weather bomb) on Thursday and Friday which will drop close to a foot of snow, followed by temperatures that could plunge 20 below. Meanwhile, the U.S. President has just responded to North Korea's most overt nuclear threat to date with a response akin to a mentally deranged joke -- the most unstatesmanlike exchange in U.S. history. Seems like the perfect moment to revisit  Joy Division's Ice Age : Ice Age was recorded in 1979, but unreleased until its appearance on the 1981 posthumous album, Still . The song is a great example of the bands early sound, driven by a frenzied post-punk beat and distorted guitars. Many listeners debate the meaning of Ice Age . Some argue that the song is a literal expression of Ian Curtis' Cold War anxiety. Others perceive it as a song about feeling disconnection (the disintegration of a relationship). It's not hard to ...

Jules & the Polar Bears - Good Reason

Jules & The Polar Bears is one of those bands that you want to like, but continue to remain on the fence about even after a decade of failed listens. Recently, I've been sampling bands from the late 70s and early 80s who released fake new wave albums -- major label acts who played middle of the road rock, but disguised it in skinny ties, brightly colored sweaters and catchy, Cars-y keyboard riffs. Jules & The Polar Bears are a good example. Their first record, 1978's Got No Breeding, was compared to Dylan, The Kinks and Springsteen. Personally, I hear a quirky Jackson Browne in the songwriting. Everything sounds bearded and mid-tempo, except Jules Shear, the singer. He gives the band a distinct sound with his "singing at the top of my range" yelp. But even with Shears' interesting squelch, the songs never break out of 70s rock conformity. The guitarist's resemblance to a member of Orleans or Doobie Brothers is telling. Enter 1979's "Fenêt...