Skip to main content

Morrissey - Interesting Drug

If you haven't been following nostalgic alternative rock news, Morrissey (Bigmouth Strikes Again) is currently embroiled in a public relations debacle resulting from last month's interview with Zer Spiegel wherein he made some uncomfortable and half-baked statements about sexual assault. If you're interested in catching up on the situation, it's here.

I've always enjoyed Morrissey's defiance of the status quo with his music. Throughout his work with the Smiths and as a solo artist, he's expressed brash opinions about animal rights, war, celibacy, sexual identity, royalty and even toyed with English pride and Britishness (which, for many fans, went too far). Morrissey is a pop singer and has continually employed sarcasm and irony in his music. He also toys with ambiguity. I like Morrissey when he uses lyrics and music to provoke our thinking. He tends to completely bungle interviews, coming off as a both a narcissist and hypocrite. That's not to say that he hasn't given some of the most entertaining interviews in the history of pop music.

With tonight's song choice I'd like to steer away from analyzing Morrissey 2017 and delve into his music from the late 80s. Interesting Drug, is a funky little pop song with a bitter bite. Released as a single, post-Viva Hate, the tune is a scathing criticism of conservative politics. I felt it might be a nice listen for anyone coping with feelings of bewilderment in the wake of our current GOP tax reform.

"There are some bad people on the rise 
There are some bad people on the rise 
They're saving their own skins by 
Ruining other people's lives 
Bad, bad people on the rise"


Here's a recent cover by Chicago, power-pop act, OK Go. On January 18, they uploaded the tune to their YouTube page with the following message:

"We recorded a cover of Morrissey's 'Interesting Drug' — it seems like the right soundtrack for this moment. No matter how anxious or angry you are, try to turn your passion into something good for the world. We're in this together."

Comments

Trending Tracks

Yes - Into The Lens

You know the story. The Buggles' "Video Killed the Radio Star" becomes the first music video shown on MTV in the U.S. on August 1981. The 80's first flash in the pan is born. But do you know the next part of the story? The Buggles (Geoff Downes and Trevor Horn) brought prog rock dinosaurs, Yes, back to life for a brief stint as new wave zombies with rad guitar solos. Now, how the hell did that happen? Turns out that Downes and Horn were under the same management as Yes. After 1978's  Tormato , an album featuring the forgettable "Don't Kill The Whale," Jon Anderson (vocals) and Rick Wakemen (keyboard wizardry) went splitsville. At that point, most people would probably agree that the band was dead. Steve Howe and Chris Squire saw it differently. Yes' management approached their buddies in The Buggles about jamming with the remains of Yes: Howe (guitar), Squire (bass) and Alan White (drums). What I can only imagine as a weird experience fo...

Sweetbottom - Shrapnel In My Ankle

Sweetbottom -  Angels of the Deep . I can provide a totally valid explanation for the existence of this record in my collection. You see, I'd been eyeing this peculiar 12" at my favorite little hole-in-the-wall record shop for about a month. It was in the $5 box. After a few weeks it finally landed in the $1 bin. For the album artwork alone, I thought, this is worth a buck. Four late-70s dudes clad in white, cotton shirts and pants, hairy chests and... white shag carpet. Sweetbottom indeed. Adding to the allure, the notes revealed that the album had been recorded at the Shade Tree Resort Studio in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin between 1977-78. Could this be like the Great Lakes version of Yacht Rock? Could I be holding some long-forgotten, Midwest soft rock obscurity? I was tempted to cheat and pull out my cellphone to Google them, but then I paused. This is $1 we're talking about. Let's take the risk and live dangerously. As I approached the register, I noted that the ...