Skip to main content

The Posies - Definite Door

Definite Door is the Posies' final single from 1994's Frosting On The Beater. With it's psychedelic and fatalistic lyrics, matched with sugary sweet grunge guitars, the song stirs up a mix of somber, yet mystical bliss. It is the pinnacle of power-pop meets grunge.

The Posies, like Nirvana were part of the 90s Seattle music scene. Since Kurt Cobain died on April 8, 1994 and Definite Door was released shortly after (April 27), we can rule out the idea that the band was directly addressing Cobain's suicide. Music journalists at the time perceived the song as a statement of psychedelic escapism. Still, with lyrics like

"Say goodbye to your friends and family
Pack your promises silently
Funny how they forget to tell you
This is all you will ever be"

it's easy to interpret the song as a commentary on suicide's power to eclipse all of our memories of one's lifetime. Ultimately, there is no literal meaning provided for this tune. We are left to piece it together for ourselves.  

Comments

Trending Tracks

Yes - Into The Lens

You know the story. The Buggles' "Video Killed the Radio Star" becomes the first music video shown on MTV in the U.S. on August 1981. The 80's first flash in the pan is born. But do you know the next part of the story? The Buggles (Geoff Downes and Trevor Horn) brought prog rock dinosaurs, Yes, back to life for a brief stint as new wave zombies with rad guitar solos. Now, how the hell did that happen? Turns out that Downes and Horn were under the same management as Yes. After 1978's  Tormato , an album featuring the forgettable "Don't Kill The Whale," Jon Anderson (vocals) and Rick Wakemen (keyboard wizardry) went splitsville. At that point, most people would probably agree that the band was dead. Steve Howe and Chris Squire saw it differently. Yes' management approached their buddies in The Buggles about jamming with the remains of Yes: Howe (guitar), Squire (bass) and Alan White (drums). What I can only imagine as a weird experience fo...

Sweetbottom - Shrapnel In My Ankle

Sweetbottom -  Angels of the Deep . I can provide a totally valid explanation for the existence of this record in my collection. You see, I'd been eyeing this peculiar 12" at my favorite little hole-in-the-wall record shop for about a month. It was in the $5 box. After a few weeks it finally landed in the $1 bin. For the album artwork alone, I thought, this is worth a buck. Four late-70s dudes clad in white, cotton shirts and pants, hairy chests and... white shag carpet. Sweetbottom indeed. Adding to the allure, the notes revealed that the album had been recorded at the Shade Tree Resort Studio in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin between 1977-78. Could this be like the Great Lakes version of Yacht Rock? Could I be holding some long-forgotten, Midwest soft rock obscurity? I was tempted to cheat and pull out my cellphone to Google them, but then I paused. This is $1 we're talking about. Let's take the risk and live dangerously. As I approached the register, I noted that the ...