Skip to main content

Genesis - Supper's Ready

Clocking in at nearly 23 minutes, Supper's Ready was the first extended composition that Genesis attempted in the studio. It appeared on 1972's Foxtrot. With Steve Hackett's ornate and chiming guitars, Tony Banks classical sounding keys, Phil Collins' athletic drumming (hitting 9/8 in section VI) and, of course, Peter Gabriel's dramatic voice -- lifting from an ethereal hush to a fantastic shriek throughout, it's a prog-rock masterpiece. This was Genesis firing on all cylinders. They were in their formative stage as a band and in love with composing together. Ultimately, the tune would provide a perfect opportunity for Gabriel to develop costumes and portray a host of fanciful characters, including a giant daisy (pictured here).

Lyrically, the song is expansive, dealing with themes of good and evil, particularly allusions to the Book of Revelations. Gabriel based the lyrics for the first section, Lover's Leap, on two otherworldly experiences. On one occasion, his wife, during a late night conversation, began speaking in a voice (not her own). Gabriel quickly formed a cross with a candlestick and another object, to which she responded erratically. Eventually she calmed down and was taken to bed. Sometime later, while looking out the window of his inlaws' house, he saw a lawn that was entirely different than the actual view (like an alternate reality). Across the lawn... seven hooded figures crossed. Yikes! Both of these experiences figure into the opening lyrics. I love this song, but some of the imagery definitely spooks me. It's some of Gabriel's freakiest.

Supper's Ready is one of those rock epics that you can listen to repeatedly. With each listen, a new layer, sound or lyric strikes you. Today, the song might seem pretentious or overly ambitious. However, when you consider the era in which it was conceived, it's easier to appreciate the adventurous nature of the music.

The song contains seven distinct sections:
I: "Lover's Leap" (0:00 - 3:47)
II: "The Guaranteed Eternal Sanctuary Man" (3:48 - 5:43)
III: "Ikhnaton and Itsacon and Their Band of Merry Men" (5:44 - 9:42)
IV: "How Dare I Be So Beautiful?" (9:43 - 11:04)
V: "Willow Farm" (11:05 - 15:36)
VI: "Apocalypse in 9/8 (Co-Starring the Delicious Talents of Gabble Ratchet)" (15:36 - 20:50)
VII: "As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs (Aching Men's Feet)" (20:51 - 22:54)

Supper's Ready! Press play and begin your first course.

Comments

Trending Tracks

Yes - Into The Lens

You know the story. The Buggles' "Video Killed the Radio Star" becomes the first music video shown on MTV in the U.S. on August 1981. The 80's first flash in the pan is born. But do you know the next part of the story? The Buggles (Geoff Downes and Trevor Horn) brought prog rock dinosaurs, Yes, back to life for a brief stint as new wave zombies with rad guitar solos. Now, how the hell did that happen? Turns out that Downes and Horn were under the same management as Yes. After 1978's  Tormato , an album featuring the forgettable "Don't Kill The Whale," Jon Anderson (vocals) and Rick Wakemen (keyboard wizardry) went splitsville. At that point, most people would probably agree that the band was dead. Steve Howe and Chris Squire saw it differently. Yes' management approached their buddies in The Buggles about jamming with the remains of Yes: Howe (guitar), Squire (bass) and Alan White (drums). What I can only imagine as a weird experience fo...

Sweetbottom - Shrapnel In My Ankle

Sweetbottom -  Angels of the Deep . I can provide a totally valid explanation for the existence of this record in my collection. You see, I'd been eyeing this peculiar 12" at my favorite little hole-in-the-wall record shop for about a month. It was in the $5 box. After a few weeks it finally landed in the $1 bin. For the album artwork alone, I thought, this is worth a buck. Four late-70s dudes clad in white, cotton shirts and pants, hairy chests and... white shag carpet. Sweetbottom indeed. Adding to the allure, the notes revealed that the album had been recorded at the Shade Tree Resort Studio in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin between 1977-78. Could this be like the Great Lakes version of Yacht Rock? Could I be holding some long-forgotten, Midwest soft rock obscurity? I was tempted to cheat and pull out my cellphone to Google them, but then I paused. This is $1 we're talking about. Let's take the risk and live dangerously. As I approached the register, I noted that the ...