Skip to main content

Slade - Merry Christmas Everybody


  

Christmas Day is gone. Still the holiday mood lingers. This is my third and final inclusion of a holiday song on the mixtape.

Slade's Merry Christmas Everybody was their biggest hit, selling over a million copies upon its release in 1973 and scored them a #1 hit in the U.K. You might know Slade from their tunes Mama Weer All Crazee Now and Cum On Feel The Noize. The latter was a hit for the hair metal band, Quiet Riot on 1983's Metal Health (which happened to be the first cassette I ever purchased).

I first heard Merry Christmas Everybody at a gig in San Francisco. My band was sharing a bill with a group name Petrol. The two brothers in the band were from the U.K. and they covered this Slade holiday classic year-round. In fact, they closed every show with this stomping anthem. I thought it was cool that they were playing a Christmas song in late August. In fact, I thought they wrote it. Later, the singer, Graham Shaw, revealed that it was Slade.

Petrol were a late 90s group who never developed a Web presence. To this day, all I can find is a scant entry for one of their albums on Discogs.

If you know Graham or his brother Michael, tell them I said thanks for introducing me to Slade and this fine Christmas anthem!

Comments

Trending Tracks

The Brains - Money Changes Everything

It's become undeniably evident that the president of the United States had a sexual fling with a porn star while his wife was pregnant. Right before the 2016 election, his lawyer paid Stormy Daniels off with $130,000. POTUS denies the whole thing. I'm so sick of money and the terrible things that it enables. It's pretty obvious no one in the GOP or Trump's base is going to bat an eye at this little hush money cover up. What it reveals about the soul of America is no surprise, but still troubling. Yeah, money changes everything. Even the core values of religious zealots and fiscally conservative nut jobs. But, we should have known that. The Brains called it back in '80. "You think you know what we're doing. We don't pull the strings. It's all in the past now. Money changes everything." The Brains were a hard rocking quartet from Atlanta, Georgia. For their 1980 debut, Steve Lillywhite stepped in to the production role, added a littl...

Jonathan Richman - I Was Dancing In A Lesbian Bar

Jonathan Richman 's I Was Dancing In A Lesbian Bar  reminds me of last night. Yesterday was my birthday. In typical fashion, after my responsibilities as husband and father were lovingly fulfilled and the sun had set on the quiet suburbs of Portland, I drove straight into the city for some karaoke. Throughout the evening I sang three songs and danced harder than I have in years. In Richman's song, the protagonist finds himself feeling like an outsider at a night club. The clientele is too cool to dance and less than welcoming. Soon he is invited to go dancing in a new spot by some kind strangers. They lead him to a lesbian bar that is the polar opposite of the first club. Everybody's dancing and having a good time. Richman has found a place of belonging in the most unlikely setting. That's how I felt at the karaoke club last night. I've been in literally hundreds of karaoke bars in a handful of countries. As a first-timer, singers can be met with indifference,...